Tuesday 18 February 2014

Contradictions

“I had come to realize that I didn't have any feelings towards the AT that weren't thoroughly contradictory. I was weary of the trail, but captivated by it; found the endless slog increasingly exhausting but ever invigorating; grew tired of the boundless woods but admired their boundlessness; enjoyed the escape from civilization and ached for its comforts. All of this together, all at once, every moment, on the trail or off.”
Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail 


Bill's thoughts on the trail seems to sound a lot like how I feel about Peace Corps. I'm exhausted but happy, love being in the village but often yearn for the comforts offered by Nairobi and home life. I am going to miss this place. But I can't wait to be home and see my family and friends. All of these emotions at once. It just feels like one big contradiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment